Friday, July 4, 2008

Mr .Tambourine man

X cracks a joke. Y erupts into peals of laughter. Z looks dumb struck with an expression of what-the-fuck-is-this writ large on his face. Y explains the joke to Z, who fakes a laugh, still not getting it. One thing about laughter, other than being the best medicine, is that it is spontaneous. I can’t explain why a joke is funny the same way I can’t explain why I like my favourite song. Sure I can say that I like the riff ,the vocals or the solo but there’s something about it and I can’t really put your finger on that “something”.

Our minds are what we make them. As infants and thereabouts we’re fascinated by everything. Something as ordinary as a key chain or an aeroplane. Magic shows and ghosts in closets. A silly looking clown can make a toddler laugh his tiny little head off. But the calculating and analytical mind is swift to debunk the mysteries of closeted ghosts and magicians. That magician is a fraud! The rabbit was already in the hat. The same way the clown is just another guy in a stupid costume and an aeroplane is just like a bus only that it flies. Big deal.

But no matter how much we’ve suppressed our instincts, some things remain unchanged. Artistic appreciation and laughter being two of them. We don't have to "think" to realize that a crack is funny. Its funny because, well.. it just is.

Sometimes it’s better to give the mind a rest and let the soul do the thinking.


3 comments:

Bhargav said...

Call me crazy, but laughing for no paricular reason is remarkably fulfiling, especially when someone is saying something important.
Lots of kick!!

:)

Vikram said...

Join the club. I've always had this thought: When someone is talking very seriously, how would it feel to punch his lights out? Somehow, I can never keep a straight face in the conversation after that :)

Unknown said...

Hmm.. have never thought of how mystic laughter is actually in life. Thanks for the insight... and wonderful post.